Friday, January 6, 2012

Prelude - Meeting Cousin Winnow

The next day was spent largely on my own, which I had no problems with since I was so used to being on my own that it was no burden whatsoever. I was talking with people I had issues with, the constant barrage during the day of servants asking whether I required anything frayed my nerves and I was short with several of them and sent them from the room. I was not some pampered King who needed chattels to wait on me hand and foot. I had to do what I could to ensure that I did not burden others such that I could avoid the fate that destiny had set for me.

It was the day after that when Gerard knocked on my door and invited me to attend a morning breakfast with him. Outside my room with the fire it was cold in the corridoors and I shivered slightly as I went. The questions that had been burning in my mind for the past two days were still begging to be answered. Who were my parents and why had they not been here to receive me? Moreso how had this man Gerard known where I was to come and rescue me?

Breakfast was held in a tent errected by a wall attached to the castle. After a while another large tattooed man wearing a seeming blue and silver skirt. The man looked strong and Gerard introduced him to me as Cousin Winnow and announced that he was in fact my uncle. Winnow grasped my hand very firmly so not wishing to offend I did the same in return. I exchanged stories with with of how we came to Amber, he having arrived here first a year ago. He talked of strange things - Shadows, the Courts and the Patternfall War of which I would learn the truth later and I told him of my doom.

It seemed that Benedict had heard stories of me and had done some investigating. That would be the taciturn man that I met at the Ball then. Winnow proclaimed that I was in the world of the Gods (which was clearly nonsense) but I did not want to offend the man that I had only just met.

Winnow offered to be my guide for the day which seemed like a good enough idea since the man was pleasant enough company, though he used words which were strange to me. Gerard announced that I was family and ss he did so Vialle arrived and apologised for our brief introdcution the day before last. It was impossible not to like her and her husband despite my dislike of the principle of Kings lording it over the masses. She told me that investigations were ongoing into my parenthood though that it might take some time. As we spoke the man mountain Winnow ate at the breakfast with gusto.

I asked Winnow about his tattoes on his body. I admit I was cheeky in asking whether they had no paper where he was from but I had no clue having seen so many strange things on the way here whether they truly did or not. He told me that it contained his life story and he took some pride in the marks that showed that he had killed a man. I was wary of this as killing a man was not something to be done lightly if at all. Still it showed to me that the man took pride in his achievements.

Wiinow took his leave of Gerard and Vialle and as we got up to go I realised that the I put down the plate and knife that I had used at breakfast. I did not want some servant (nee slave) being made to clear up after me. I had made the mess so it should be me who clears it up. I had to start to order my life such that I could avoid my fate and the smallest of things would be the way to begin. I asked Winnow to show me to the Kitchens so that I may clear up after myself and whilst he agreed he began to argue for the servitude of men. It is sheer laziness that has men get others to do things that they could do for themselves and I was determined to settle my account and my peace of mind.

After debating the philosphy of man's labours I asked Winnow about the Unicorn as I washed the dishes. He claimed that the Unicorn was real and had chosen Random from amongst the Gods to be King. I dislike the notion of Gods and Kings as both are there to Lord it over the ordinary man. Winnow continued to argue that the staff here were happy and content, but I was sure they would be even happier and content to mind for their own families or have people to wait on them.

Winnow took me down several more corridoors to a room of typewriters, cabinets and bookshelves. I picked up a scroll detailing crop yields and noted that they were not using the most efficient farming methods prescribed by J S Haslem in 'Farming Techniques for Greater Yield'. I think Winnow mistook my comment on improvement to think that this was an area I was particulalry interested in. I had read so many books and learned so many things over the years that knowledge such as this would come to me unbidden at times and it was meant as friendly help.

Winnow told me that people of the family had great abilities, but then I already knew that and my goalers had taken great precautions to prevent me from using my powers. I spoke once again of my fear of the prophecy and asked Winnow (who I now trusted had a good heart) to promise that if I ever let go of my balance to bring me back from the brink. I could not know where this would lead me but I needed a safety valve in case I started on down the wrong path and started to listen too intently to my 2nd and 3rd voices.

Next Winnow took me to a practise area just outside the Castle itself. There he bid me choose armour and weapon to mock fight him in a practise yard. I had never really used metal armour before and had not been allowed to hurt my instructor so I wondered how this would go. There was a number of other guardsmen around watching us as I started to spar him. It was quickly obvious that perhaps he had the edge, but I did not want to show Winnow my full capability. This man had already said that he was a killer of men and I did not want to show him all the moves I had learnt in case we were at odds later.

After that Winnow made me fight Marshall Jeems who I dispatched quickly, though I was careful to try not to hurt the man. Winnow proclaimed that this proved I was of the blood and therefore a son of a God. No I thought this just proves that I am strong and capable but I did not discount that I was from the family that ran this place.

After the practice we bathed in a nice nearby bath-house. Once again over-eager servants tried to do for me things that I can do for myself. Winnow asked me as we bathed what I would do if I had the power and I told him that I would track down those that had chosen to imprison me and get answers from them. Winnow was satisfied with that and agreed to accompany me on my quest. I then asked about the dark times that Vialle had implied that had occured in Amber and Winnow gave me a brief description of how Amber was founded and the event they call the Patternfall war. There were volumes in the library that went into greater detail and I resolved before the week was out to find these and read these accounts.

When Winnow mentioned the Pattern I enquired about it and Winnow used a thing called Trump to ask Gerard whether I could see it. We had permission and I gather a paper and pencil to draw it on the way. Down the corridor I passed a picture of a woman with green hair whom Winnow named as Aunt Llewella who lived under the sea in a place called Rebma. The way to the Pattern was down a long winding stair and as we approached the door my 2nd and 3rd voices came through to me louder than they had ever been. I pushed them back down and held my centre. Winnow suddenly materialised a more fuller armour set and he proclaimed that this was another gift of the Gods.

When we got there we found that Random was there waiting for us and showed us the pattern.  It is the most incredible thing I have ever seen and I really wanted to draw it but Random refused telling me it was dangerous to do so. Someone named Fiona knew more on this and I was keen to meet her and discuss the power flowing through this wonderous thing. Random explained how it was created and how it was part of all of the family of Amber to me. He described how the Courts of Chaos were the polar opposite to Amber and the effect of walking the Pattern to me and I still could not help but wonder. I asked whether you could take a picture of the Pattern but Random told me that such electronics did not work here and even it they did it would be as dangerous as drawing it. I resolved to see whether a pin hole camera would work here at some later point as well as try and find Fiona to talk in more detail of this marvel.

After we left Random and the Pattern Winnow took me to one of the libraries where I read half of a very nice book on the animals and plants of Amber. It was hard to get the ordering of the library and I knew I would need to ask someone the system in time. Winnow had lunch brought to us and as we ate he explained about the strange communication cards he called Trumps. It seems that certain of the family could draw them and imbue them with power that would allow for the communication and ability to teleport to the person at the other contact. I was so fascinated with this that in my haste I forgot my plate and when we teleported through Winnow's trump we were already just outside Amber and the plate was far away. Winnow consoled me that by telling me that I could head back to the kitchens later and I realised I would have to make do with that.

As we stood on the hillside some soldiers approached from a watch-tower and Winnow gave them a signal that I reassured them. I decided it best if I remember that signal in case I found myself alone near Amber at some later date. Winnow made a show of inspecting the post, though in reality there was little to inspect.

To get back to Amber Winnow made a trump call to Gerard and I realised then that Winnow must be the son of Gerard. It was the third time that day that he had gone directly to Gerard and the familiarity showed in his actions. We were brought through the trump by Gerard into a room close to the throne room. I headed back to the kitchens to find and wash my plate and Winnow said that he wanted to work out in the Gym. I left him there and made my way to the kitchens promising to catch back up with him later to continue the tour of the Castle.